expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>
Knowledge of our past is our inheritance. What we do with that knowledge will shape our destinies...

Thursday, July 4, 2013

Thoughts for Thursday--Freedom

Happy Independence Day!!!

Source
So this is the week day we will celebrate the birth of our country and the glory it has been since its inception. I come from a very patriotic family. My great-grandfathers on both sides fought on World War II and I have had lots of family in the military since then as well. So, in celebration, many of my posts this week will have a patriotic bent, and I may start out each one with a true story about the patriots in my family, or just a patriotic story in general.

I'll forego any stories today in favor of just really great freedom quotes. See earlier blog entries (over this past week) for Patriotic stories!!!


Thoughts for Thursday is a new meme hosted by Musings on Fantasia and LKHill.  In this meme, we share thoughts or quotes that we know or have recently come across. Each week there is a specific subject or theme. These can be quotes from books, quotes by famous people, (quotes by YOU, perhaps ;D). Anything from anywhere is game, though we do ask that you keep your quote to a few sentences at most. Don't quote, for example, entire passages of a book or essay. These can be funny quips, cool sayings, hair-raising antidotes, movie lines, any kind of quote you can think of!

Just have fun, collect awesome sayings by awesome people, and try to be inspired!

This week's theme is freedom. There are so many great ones, I could never even begin to scratch the surface, but here are a few to start out. (For more freedom quotes, check out my other blog.)


"I am not bird; and no net ensnares me: I am a free human being with an independent will."--Charlotte Bronte, Jane Eyre

"I was not born to be forced. I will breathe after my own fashion, and let us see who is the strongest."--Henry David Thorough

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."--Benjamin Franklin, Memoirs of the Life and Writings of Benjamin Franklin

"Those who deny freedom to others deserve it not for themselves."--Abraham Lincoln

"The secret of happiness is freedom; the secret of freedom is courage."--Carrie Jones, Need

"Change does not roll in on the wheels of inevitability, but comes through continuous struggle. And so we must straighten our backs and work for our freedom. a man can't ride you unless your back is bent."--Martin Luther King, Jr.

"We sleep safely at night because rough men stand ready to visit violence on those who would harm us."--Winston Churchill
What is your favorite quote about freedom? Do you have one to add?

No comments:

Post a Comment