expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>
Knowledge of our past is our inheritance. What we do with that knowledge will shape our destinies...

Thursday, August 1, 2013

Mermaid Book Reviews, Week 12 + Follow Friday

Welcome to Week 12 of the Mermaid Lit Summer Reading Challenge! Below is my review for this week. If you have one of your own, feel free to link up with us and be sure to visit the others to see what they thought of their reads for this week! You may join the challenge anytime you like. See rules HERE. (Follow Friday below!)


Source
For this week's review, I read Fins are Forever by Tera Lynn Childs. I read the first book in this series, Forgive my Fins, a few weeks ago and loved it! So I couldn't wait to pick up the sequel.

Childs has a writing style that's just delightful. There's plenty of angst still going on in Lily Sanderson's life, but it's all so hysterical that you just can't stop turning the pages.

*Spoiler for book 1* She and Quince are together now, *end of spoiler, but that doesn't mean life's going to get any easier. Lily plans to renounce her claim to the throne of Thalassinia in order to live on land with Quince, but she hasn't actually told him that being with him means she'll lose her position in the merekingdom.

In addition, she never planned on a future on land, which means she hasn't paid much attention to grades. Now, if she wants to help her kingdom from above--her idea is to become a marine biologist--she needs a decent SAT score and to get into a good college. Stress!

To make things worse, her horrible, bratty cousin shows up needing help. Apparently Dossinia has done something that's made Lily's father, the sea King, banish her from the kingdom, and as her last duty as royal daughter, he wants Lily to help Doe grow a conscience and sense of responsibility. Not like that'll be hard or anything.

As disaster piles upon disaster, hilarity ensues and Lily thinks she might just go crazy. Or, you know, at least miss her college interview. I totally loved this book. According to goodreads, there's a third book. I was thinking it wasn't out yet, but it is. I don't know if my library has it, but I'm about to check! You all know I'm not huge on YA or high school drama, and that's exactly what these books are. But for me, they're the exception. Totally love them. Would recommend them to anyone who wants a light, fun, hysterical but also very romantic read. You can't go wrong with Tera Lynn Childs! :D


Follow Friday

Gain new followers and make new friends with the Book Blogger Feature & Follow! If this is your first time here, welcome! You are about to make some new friends and gain new followers -- but you have to know -- the point of this hop is to follow other bloggers also. I follow you, you follow me.

The Feature & Follow is hosted by TWO hosts, Parajunkee of Parajunkee's View and Alison of Alison Can Read. Each host will have their own Feature Blog and this way it'll allow us to show off more new blogs!

How does this work? First you leave your name here on this post, (using the linky tools -- keep scrolling!) then you create a post on your own blog that links back to this post (easiest way is to just grab the code under the #FF picture and put it in your post) and then you visit as many blogs as you can and tell them "hi" in their comments (on the post that has the #FF image). You follow them, they follow you. Win. Win. Just make sure to follow back if someone follows you!


How do you handle a book you don't like? Do you DNF or do you power through? 


Source
It really depends with me. I have DNF'd before, but I have a bit of a finishing complex, so unless I'm really crunched for time or I really, really, REALLY hate it, I usually power through. Of course, there are always exceptions.

The really, really REALLY hatred is rare because I generally don't pick up a book unless I'm reasonable sure I'll enjoy it. For example, I might DNF a cheesy erotica, but I wouldn't pick one of those up in the first place, so the chances are low that I would hate a book enough to DNF it.

How about you? Do you DNF?

2 comments:

  1. DNFing is rare for me. I have to really really not like what's going on, but even then I still sometimes finish the book.

    Here's my Follow Friday

    Have a GREAT weekend!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have put books down to finish later and then "forgot" to finish it if that counts.

    ReplyDelete