expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>
Knowledge of our past is our inheritance. What we do with that knowledge will shape our destinies...

Monday, August 12, 2013

Quick Monday Pole: Will You Give Me Your Opinions? Pretty Please?

Source
As many of you know, I'm currently working on lots of projects, including an epic fantasy that includes dragons. One of the guys in my critique group asked me about the length last week. He made a comment along the lines of, "You sure know how to write an epic fantasy, 'cause this sucker's gonna be long!"

He's not wrong. This is the type of epic fantasy that has four or five different viewpoint characters, most doing vastly different things in different parts of my fantasy world. 

Now, I'm not terribly worried about the length. 1) I plan to edit it well so that the writing is tight. As long as the writing is awesome, length has never bothered me as a reader, so why should it bother me as a writer? 2) It's an epic fantasy. They tend to have longer word lengths. 3) I will probably self-publish it, which means that while the print edition may be a bit higher than I'd like to cover printing costs, I can keep the e-book edition priced low, which should help push sales forward.

As this is something I've been thinking about a lot this week, I thought I'd ask for opinions:
Does length bother you when you're choosing books? Are you less likely to choose a long book, even if price isn't a factor? Just wondering what everyone thinks. 

Thanks so much for your help, wonderful readers! Have a fantastic Monday! :D

Oh, and if you're interested in my Dragon Magic series, the first book of which will be out early next year, check out the prequel, The Hatching. It's on sale for $0.99 on AMAZON right now! :D


Amazon Link -- $0.99

Goodreads Blurb

6 comments:

  1. I am far more likely to feel cheated by a short book. I want WORDS for my money. (A 99 cent novella is fine, but real books? 300+ pages... 1000 is better)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I avoid long books. To me, that means 300+ pages. There are too many books I want to read, so I don't want to spend too much time on any particular one. Sometimes, though, writers have a way of crafting long books so the reading goes smoothly and quickly. I make exceptions.

    xoRobyn

    ReplyDelete
  3. When reading, I go with my mood. Long books are something to digest slowly, while short books are quickly consumed. But when BUYING, and cost isn't too much of a factor, I'll tend to go with the longer book. ESPECIALLY epic fantasy. (Fantasy is my favorite genre!) Books over 3-400 pages are good; though something over a 1000 pages is too long for my taste. If two books are the same price, I'll take the longer one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. As an average reader I tend to look at the size, but if it's well-written I look forward to spending time in that world.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Like you, I'm not opposed to long books if they hold my attention, but the attention piece becomes even more key in a longer book. Best to you in this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've always read fantasy (epic or not) so when I read a regular length they seem short. Either is fine as long as the writing is good

    ReplyDelete