expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>
Knowledge of our past is our inheritance. What we do with that knowledge will shape our destinies...

Monday, May 19, 2014

Bloghop Event: Why I Write What I Write

A Blog Hop is basically Tag for writers who blog. Someone came up with the four questions below and answered them on her/his blog, then tagged three writer blogger friends to answer the questions on their blogs, and they then tagged three more writer bloggers… and so on and so on. Now it’s my turn.

The author that tagged me is Ann Marie Meyers. Ann Marie is a successful MG author whose first book, Up in the Air, is downright charming. (My review HERE.) She's also a fellow Jolly Fish Press author. For more information about her or her book, check out her website.

Now for the questions:

1) What am I working on/writing?
 

My first historical fiction novel, Citadels of Fireis due out May 27. It's actually the first full-length novel I ever wrote, which means that originally, it was terrible. It's gone through many, many many revisions and is finally ready for publication. I'm super excited for it!

 2) How does my work/writing differ from others of its genre?

My books is set during Russia in the middle ages during the reign of Ivan the Terrible. There are not very many historical fiction novels dealing with this subject matter. People who know something about this time period tend to know a lot about it, while most others know very little, so this story is something that many people will be interested in.

3) Why do I write what I do?


I'm a very eclectic writer. I write historical fiction because I've always been a history buff. My favorite era to learn about is the Middle Ages. It was a time that was extremely difficult to live in. Most of us can't even conceive of the circumstances in which most of the population lived. Yet, people were still full of hope and promise. It's endlessly fascinating to me.

4) How does my writing process work?

My writing process is pretty straight forward. Because of my work schedule, it's usually not possible for me to write every day. I try to write 3-4 times per week, and I try to write a good chunk of words each time, usually aiming for 3,000-4,000 in a sitting. (Keep in mind that's a goal and I don't always meet it.) 

Generally, on my first write through, I focus on action and moving the narrative forward. I don't put in details and specific descriptions and such until my first editing run. I usually edit a story 2-4 times before considering it done, just depending on the story itself. I also have a wonderful writing group that helps me a great deal. 

So that's Why I Write What I Write! Citadels of Fire will be available May 27th, with a launch party set for May 31st in the Layton, Utah Barnes and Noble. To pre-order, click HERE.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing information about your writing process! Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete