expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>
Knowledge of our past is our inheritance. What we do with that knowledge will shape our destinies...

Thursday, November 1, 2012

Follow Friday--Deal Breakers



DON'T FORGET TO CHECK OUT MY DYSTOPIAN GUEST POST ON FRAGMENTS OF LIFE

Welcome to Follow Friday Blog Hop!


Gain new followers and make new friends with the Book Blogger Feature & Follow! If this is your first time here, welcome! You are about to make some new friends and gain new followers -- but you have to know -- the point of this hop is to follow other bloggers also. I follow you, you follow me.

The Feature & Follow is hosted by TWO hosts, Parajunkee of Parajunkee's View and Alison of Alison Can Read. Each host will have their own Feature Blog and this way it'll allow us to show off more new blogs! 

How does this work? First you leave your name here on this post, (using the linky tools -- keep scrolling!) then you create a post on your own blog that links back to this post (easiest way is to just grab the code under the #FF picture and put it in your post) and then you visit as many blogs as you can and tell them "hi" in their comments (on the post that has the #FF image). You follow them, they follow you. Win. Win. Just make sure to follow back if someone follows you! 


Q: What is a deal breaker for you in a book? For example, do you abhor love triangles? Or can't deal with bad editing?


berryreviews.com
I hope I can explain this well enough. I don't like it when there isn't enough importance put on love relationships. For example, when one or both of the two main love interests are casually promiscuous. I'm someone who, though I don't judge about people's histories and little black books, thinks that once the two main characters fall in love, they ought to be loyal to one another. I've read several books where they fall in love, but then one or both of them continue to sleep around and it's no big deal. This really turns me off to the characters and I tend to lose interest in the story.


Of course, this can be the case sometimes in platonic relationships, too, but it's got to be REALLY horribly done in cases of platonic love for me to put down the book. Sometimes strain in a relationship IS the main conflict, and that's fine, but if the author presents disloyalty as a trait in a character and then tries to make it seem like this is perfectly okay and normal and we should love the character anyway, then I can still get turned off to the story.

What about you? What turns you off to a book?

18 comments:

  1. That would really bother me to read a book where the characters fall in love and then are still sleeping around. I love books because of the fantasy love story, that's the point for me when I'm reading a love story

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I so agree!!

    Thanks for visiting!!

    Marilyn @ Marilyn's Mystery Blog

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, you have a great response. Thanks again for following!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a nice answer! I like getting swept away in the relationships as well!

    Here's my Follow Friday

    Have a GREAT weekend!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I haven't thought about that answer, but you are totally right! Relationship = loyal. No other guys/girls.

    FF @thedailyprophecy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't know that I've come across this before, but it would definitely bother me. It bothers me in real life and television/movies as well. I suppose because the love triangles I read tend to be YA, not much happens and it's usually because said brooding dude goes away for awhile and other interest takes the opportunity to step in. But after the heroine makes her choice, there's no going back for me. I don't respect unfaithful people, so I definitely don't want characters to be unfaithful. Perhaps why I never liked Bridges of Madison County, actually.
    Great answer.
    Thanks for stopping by. Old Follower via GFC
    Megan @ Love, Literature, Art, and Reason

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hate it when that happens. I read one book where it was like that and I couldn't finish it. And I got so mad at the characters, I kept think "Hello, you don't do that, get mad at him he shouldn't do that"
    Old follower
    my F&F
    http://kimberlysnovelnotes.blogspot.com/2012/11/friday-56-9-feature-friday-8.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. New follower via GFC. Thanks for stopping by The Book Asylum!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I also agree.

    http://tributebooksmama.blogspot.com/2012/11/feature-follow.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good point Liesel. That's what made the Star Wars prequels so awful for me. Give people a reason to be together. Don't just throw them at each other!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great answer! Thanks for stopping by my post. Followed you back. :D

    Sarika @ The Readdicts

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great answer and I totally agree. I haven't read many books with characters like that, but I certainly don't want to increase that number.

    Old follower

    -Ariel
    My FF

    ReplyDelete
  13. I feel that way about love triangles I always think in books that we are supposed to forgive the girl for stringing along the two super dream hunks..but if it was a guy we would be thinking he was the bad guy. Think it is a double standard that annoys me!
    Old Follower!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm not a big fan of infidelity or sleeping around, either. Makes the character seem less stable to me. I also hate indecisive characters who simply can't choose their love interest.

    New follower on GFC. You can read my FF here

    ReplyDelete
  15. I agree. I hate it when characters fall in love and then suddenly love someone else.

    New follower

    Sídhí News & Gossip
    A Blog Hop Place for Books

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh my gosh, I would hate that! My number one requirement for me to like a book is to like the MC, and I would not like an MC that fooled around when that someone was in a relationship. Cheating is wrong - at least in my book.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I can understand this one. I think that the last book in the strangels series(I mean Strange Angels) had this issue. We go on and on between this love triangle and in the end she chooses no one. Well she makes a lesbian joke (I don't have problems with lesbians just don't make it pop up in the last 3 pages) with a friend of hers. She never even mentioned or hinted at liking her or girls at all. I felt betrayed, like who the hell is the character?! Anyway, enough ranting for me. I understand. :)

    ReplyDelete