expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>
Knowledge of our past is our inheritance. What we do with that knowledge will shape our destinies...

Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Top Ten Tuesday--Difficult Subjects

Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created here at The Broke and the Bookish. This feature was created because we are particularly fond of lists here at The Broke and the Bookish. We'd love to share our lists with other bookish folks and would LOVE to see your top ten lists!

Each week we will post a new Top Ten list  that one of our bloggers here at The Broke and the Bookish will answer. Everyone is welcome to join. All we ask is that you link back to The Broke and the Bookish on your own Top Ten Tuesday post AND add your name to the Linky widget so that everyone can check out other bloggers lists! If you don't have a blog, just post your answers as a comment. Have fun with it! It's a fun way to get to know your fellow bloggers.

Top Ten Books Dealing with Tough Subjects (abuse, suicide, grief, etc. or something personally hard for you). All covers courtesy of goodreads.com unless otherwise posted.

I don't read too many books like this so I had to think hard and still only came up with seven.

7. Divergent--I don't want to give spoilers but let's just say there's a tragic incident with one of Tris's friends (I wanna say Richard was his name?) and it was difficult for me to read, not only because it was brutal and tragic but because that character reminded me a LOT of my brother, whom I'm very close to.



6. Pushing the Limits--Totally loved the book but it did deal with minors that come from broken (and worse) homes, so there are parts of it that are very sad.



5. The Road--This is the ultimate dystopian novel. I always say it's one every dystopian lover should read, but be warned it is pretty brutal. It deals with violence--especially cannibalism--and is quite dark.



4. Under the Never Sky--I just read this book last week (see my review on Musings on Fantasia tomorrow!) but this is another one that deals with kids in tragic situations. There's a boy named Cinder that my heart just went out to! Poor kid!


Source
3. The Pact--Okay, quick confession: I didn't actually finish reading this one. It wasn't bad, by any means, but it was one of those things where, based on the back-cover blurb, it just didn't take the approach I thought it would, so I was a bit disappointed and stopped reading. I kind of want to pick it back up now, having a better idea what it's about, and finish it. It's about a teen suicide pact.



2. Driven to Kill--a true crime novel I just finished (my review HERE). It's about a pedophile and is quite explicit about what he did to the children, so it's very disturbing and difficult to get through.



1. Anna Karenina--This one is about an affair, but more specifically it's about a specific personality type that creates all the drama in her own life, and then sits around crying about it. This was kind of difficult for me to read because I know someone like that and I got just as frustrated with the character in the book as I did with the person I know in real life. 



What are your Top Ten Books about Difficult Subjects?

7 comments:

  1. Under the Never Sky is on my TBR, but I haven't read any of these. The dystopian with cannibalism sound pretty brutal! But I might read it when I'm in a special mood...

    Thanks for stopping by my TTT post earlier. Happy reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apparently, I typed faster than my brain - I have read Insurgent, and I see what you're talking about!

      Delete
  2. I totally agree with you on Pushing the Limits; I love how Katie McGarry tackled everything in the book.

    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've got The Road on my list, too. Have you seen the movie? It's equally horrifying.

    Stephanie (Go Flash Go) @ Read, Rinse, Repeat

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think I'd get along with Anna Karenina either...Ugh, Drama Queens. Here ismy TTT

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great picks!
    http://www.nobentspines.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete