expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>
Knowledge of our past is our inheritance. What we do with that knowledge will shape our destinies...

Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Book Review: The Samaritan's Pistol

Source
Today I'm reviewing The Samaritan's Pistol by Eric Bishop. It took me forever to read this--but not because it's bad or hard to read. Actually, it's fantastic! I've just been so busy lately that it's taken me much longer than usual to finish a book. :D

Bishop has managed to write a modern western with a Louis-Lamour flair to it. Jim is a loner cowboy who owns a ranch in Wyoming. He's been around the block, fought in a war, buried a childhood friend, and had his heart broken.

For extra money, he acts as a guide for wealthy hikers and fishers, who he takes into the mountains and then picks up again when they're read to leave.

While heading back from such a trip, he happens on an unlikely scene that will change his world forever: a group of mafia henchmen trying to off someone who's crossed them. 


Jim, who refuses to let anyone beat an unarmed man to death, can't help but get involved. But it doesn't end there. What ensues is an all-out adventure where he discovers new friends, new facts about old ones, and even some romance.

I really loved this story. My only complaint as I neared the end was that it wasn't a stand-alone novel. Not that I'm against series--that would be pretty hypocritical of me--but I really wanted to see the bad guys get their comeuppance, and as I neared the end, it was obvious that wouldn't happen in this installment. At least, not completely. Though I have to admit, the final line of the novel--the line that propels the reader into the next book--was pretty dang good. It made me smile and look forward to book 2.

Jim is an everyman's cowboy who doesn't take any crap from people. His honest, easy manner inspires loyalty in his friends and community. As a character, I found him refreshing, and had fun following his story. So, if you like a modern western with an old-fashioned feel, this is the book for you.

So, what's the last western you read?

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Liesel for a great review. Book two is in the way. I don't have a name yet. Perhaps "The Mafia's Machine Gun?" You rock and thank you again!

    ReplyDelete