expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>
Knowledge of our past is our inheritance. What we do with that knowledge will shape our destinies...

Monday, October 7, 2013

Top Ten Tuesday: Best/Worst Series Enders

Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created here at The Broke and the Bookish. This feature was created because we are particularly fond of lists here at The Broke and the Bookish. We'd love to share our lists with other bookish folks and would LOVE to see your top ten lists!

Each week we will post a new Top Ten list  that one of our bloggers here at The Broke and the Bookish will answer. Everyone is welcome to join. All we ask is that you link back to The Broke and the Bookish on your own Top Ten Tuesday post AND add your name to the Linky widget so that everyone can check out other bloggers lists! If you don't have a blog, just post your answers as a comment. Have fun with it! It's a fun way to get to know your fellow bloggers.

Top Ten Best/Worst Series Enders (All covers courtesy of Goodreads.com unless otherwise linked.)

Worst Enders:

3. Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis--I actually don't like putting this on a "worst" list, because it really wasn't. I didn't mind it, I was just disappointed by the final book. It's called "The Last Battle," but it's actually very slow and somewhat anti-climatic. What happened was pretty cool, but it just didn't feel as engaging as other stories.

2. The Twilight Sagaby Stephenie Meyer--I was actually a pretty big Twilight fan while the series was being put out, but I really hated the end of book 4. It felt like she changed her mind right before the end. She set us up for a huge battle, but then when everyone got there, they just changed their minds and went home. Really? I will say that, surprisingly, the movie did a better job with it. We got to see the whole battle before it was retracted, which made the ending feel more real and justified. At least to me. :D


1. The Girl that Kicked the Hornet's Nest by Stieg Larsson--I've talked about this before, but I totally hated this series, mostly because of the way it ended. Book 1 was okay, but this was a case of the author setting us up for something, then changing his mind fifty pages before the end of the series. I kept reading, hoping it would get better. Afterward, I decided it had been a colossal waste of time.

Best Enders:


5. All is Well by Gerald N. Lund--Such a great conclusion to an epic historical fiction saga! It ended on the perfect note and I totally loved it!



Source
4. Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins--I know lots of people didn't like book 3, but I think that's to be expected. Parts of it did feel rushed to me, but the end of the book--and I mean the VERY end--kind of made the story for me. Maybe I'm a sap, but overall I really liked it.

3. Confessor by Terry Goodkind--I won't say it was all kinds of epic, but it got to the point where I really didn't know how he would end the series and solve all the problems he'd come up with over 11 books. I ended up being pretty impressed with what he did.

2. The Deadly Hallows by J.K.Rowling--I know people had some complaints about book 7, but most of them didn't bother me. I still started reading and just couldn't stop, finishing this tome in only 2-3 days. In my book, that's a pretty great finale. Plus, we got lots of tragedy, battles, and a fitting end to an epic villain. I especially liked the "19 Years Later" afterward. The line where Harry tells his son that he was named after two Hogwarts headmasters and one of them (referencing Snape) was the bravest man he'd ever known is, in my opinion, one of the best lines I've ever read. I still tear up when I think of it.

1. A Memory of Light by Robert Jordan and Brandon Sanderson--So you totally saw this coming, right? I know I'm a broken record on the subject of this series, but I can't emphasize enough how great the final book was. The most amazing, epic, battle-ridden, awesome character arcs, in all other ways incredible series ender! Everything we could have hoped for over fourteen books and literally thousands of pages!

Bonus: Enders That I Can't Wait for (the Veronicas!):

1. Into the Still Blue by Veronica Rossi










What are your Best/Worst Picks?

9 comments:

  1. I have Deathly Hallows on my best list, despite not liking the epilogue. I thought Mockingjay was okay, not brilliant, but not awful. Great list :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great list! Glad to hear Goodkind and Jordan's series all wrapped up nicely :) I don't think I'll ever get around to finishing either series but that's good to know :)

    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  3. The applicant, as well as their monthly income according to their financial situation, ability to repay the amount of the loan is put into the hands of.Naturally this all-important will be waiting to meet all.If you do that, if so, it is 12 months, the money will be able to solve.Of people living with the day before, the day before the standards of the financial situation of hunger that only a small amount of people, but many people today Mainly because sangdaejeokwa gone with the standard of the people living today are faced with similar problems, high economic and financial situation is very uncertain.It's even you Set and the same person was very easy to Help to reduce costs without the ability to adapt is such a person.The name of the person, this is the first year of the loan.This is a simple to prove financial support throughout the year is capital loans.

    Home or office and even faced any kind of problem does not apply.The former Four cost and affordable online application is very simple, because the way you will be able to apply.Some basic but important personal information, you must fill out this form.All of this just a few minutes to fill out the form it takes.Verification process, such as space Such as the proc ESS jobs, money will go directly into your bank account.

    12 months in the case of a loan monthly payment, it is very simple.



    http://12monthloanstopocketuk.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  4. Memory of Light :D! I wish I could finish Sword of Truth, I got about 3.5 books in and I just couldn't take it anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad to see Mockingjay on another best list! That certainly divided the community, but I loved it.

    I totally agree with you about the film version of Breaking Dawn being much better than the book. It was very clever of the filmmakers to film that hypothetical battle scene.

    Stephanie @ Inspiring Insomnia

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just read the Narnia books this year with my son, and I have to agree about The Last Battle! I thought it was a fairly dismal way to end a magical series -- just long, drawn out, and confusing, not to mention way more heavy-handed on the religious subtext than the other books. Too bad, because we loved 1 - 6! I'm with you on Breaking Dawn as well -- not having a big battle scene at the end felt like a cheat. And of course, loved Harry Potter... just wish we could have more!

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so with you on Allegient! Cannot wait!

    ReplyDelete
  8. A lot of people have been saying they didn't like Mockingjay, but I agree with you, I thought it was very intriguing. The epilogue I could have lived without, but I thought that twist left some great food for thought. It took me a couple of days to digest and decide what I thought, but that is the mark of an amazing book in my mind ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. In the case of short term loans in Canada, in fact, is different: under Canadian law, any interest rate more than 60% per annul is considered a crime.These restrictions to curb payday lending practices in Canada, but the United States does? short term loans lending practices, although the 37 state laws and regulation, is still controversial, and sometimes with the public perception is not good, it is facing nearly every U.S. state laws battle, as we have seen, in Canada Be careful (when) you want to go the way short term loans!Remember to be careful if you are considering other completely different short term loans uk , such as student loans (or student card), because the student credit card debt is very dangerous ...But that is another matter.For those who have knowledgeable a scene, you may face the burden of money, then you probably know what a short term loans.There will be time in our lives, what we will be faced with the economic crisis and our payday is still too far away.When that happens, we have no steering, but the short term loans online in addition to apply for short term loans, due to the fact that it will be in a position to provide to us, we need instant cash.

    www.expresslenders.co.uk

    ReplyDelete