expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>
Knowledge of our past is our inheritance. What we do with that knowledge will shape our destinies...

Thursday, October 25, 2012

Follow Friday--Annoyed Reading

Gain new followers and make new friends with the Book Blogger Feature & Follow! If this is your first time here, welcome! You are about to make some new friends and gain new followers -- but you have to know -- the point of this hop is to follow other bloggers also. I follow you, you follow me.

The Feature & Follow is hosted by TWO hosts, Parajunkee of Parajunkee's View and Alison of Alison Can Read. Each host will have their own Feature Blog and this way it'll allow us to show off more new blogs! 

How does this work? First you leave your name here on this post, (using the linky tools -- keep scrolling!) then you create a post on your own blog that links back to this post (easiest way is to just grab the code under the #FF picture and put it in your post) and then you visit as many blogs as you can and tell them "hi" in their comments (on the post that has the #FF image). You follow them, they follow you. Win. Win. Just make sure to follow back if someone follows you!


Q: What writing device or trick most irritates you when reading a book? For example, if an author employs an omnipotent narrator that is sometimes considered bad form.


Okay, I repeat: this is not a good question for an author, but I'll attempt to be brief. I have other things on my other blog.

1) I am bugged when an author sets something up, and then doesn't deliver on it. (I recently wrote a blog post about this.)

2) I am bugged by insta-love.

3) I am bugged by an over-abundance of adverbs (i.e. -ly words).

How about you? What are you bugged by when you read? Happy Friday! :D

29 comments:

  1. Insta love is going to be a popular pick this weekend! I can't stand it either. I have read few that were done nice, but still, I just don't personally like it. It can be done well, I will say that though. It's just rare.

    Here's my Follow Friday

    Have a GREAT weekend!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hopping through. My natural tendency is to use adverbs liberally. :-) I've tried to curb it by being conscious about whether there are better words to use - like "shouted" vs "spoke loudly" - although that's an obvious one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think everyone's first inclination is to use them liberally. It takes practice to reign the adverbs in. :D I don't mind a few (I've met some writers who think all adverbs should die a gory death) but they definitely need to be used in moderation. Thanks Alison! :D

      Delete
  3. Happily Hopping through!

    I totally agree about the insta-love thing. So annoying!

    http://mydailyobsessionreview.blogspot.com/2012/10/feature-and-follow-3.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. True. Insta-love. Ugh.
    Here's my FF.
    Have a great day!
    *Old follower. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Insta-love! I have an entire rant in my head about every other day about this. It's so annoying.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hahaha! Over-abundance of adverbs! True that. ;)
    I don't mind insta-love and triangles though... :)

    New follower here! :)

    My Feature & Follow Friday

    Sarika @ The Readdicts

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hate insta-love too - there's just far too much of it in YA fiction! Drives me crazy ;)
    Old follower =)
    Rinn (My FF)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree, insta love sucks somethimes. I do want to feel the connection between the characters and when I can't feel it I hate it. :)

    New follower via GFC.

    J'adore Happy Endings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed! I suppose it might be okay if it's done well enough to feel a connection, but I've never seen this done to my satisfaction. Thanks, Nina! Have a good one! :D

      Delete
  9. Oh yes, insta-love pisses me of as well. That is simply not what happens in real life and although they are fiction, novels should sort of represent life. Thanks for sharing :) Hop on over if you have the time:
    My Friday post
    Juli @ Universe in Words

    ReplyDelete
  10. I feel neutral to insta-love, I think it can be handled well and could just past of as passion, but if it's a insta-love with no explanations at all and no further emotional development after they fall in love then I would hate it. People don't react like that. Hook-ups do happen but if it's going to be a relationship, it needs developments.

    Old follower ;) Here's my FF

    ReplyDelete
  11. I agree 100% I hate insta-love so much, and its so used. About half of the books Iread this year had insta-love in it.
    Old follower.
    My F&F
    http://kimberlysnovelnotes.blogspot.com/2012/10/friday-56-8-feature-friday-7.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good points, I agree.

    http://tributebooksmama.blogspot.com/2012/10/feature-follow_26.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi!
    It irks me when authors used the same words or lines throughout the entire book. (At this moment I'm thinking about Fifty Shades). I mean I'm not an author by ANY means, but a little variety would be nice :)
    Thanks for stopping by my blog, following you back :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good points. Insta-love is a book one and it really annoys me. I like to follow the characters journey and you can't if they don't have one!

    Thanks for stopping by, following back. :)

    Myra @ Pieces of Whimsy

    ReplyDelete
  15. Good points! Adverbs, the vampires of prose. Stake them through the hearts with your valiant pen of editing!

    Thanks for stopping by my blog! Following you back :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Insta-love is like a huge no-no, everytime I read about it I roll my eyes like repeatedly. And sometimes when I read a good book but it has a main character falling for someone by the end of chapter 6 I won't enjoy it as much. Great answer and thanks for stopping by my blog! :)

    Kaina @ These Flying Pages

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Liesel, great blogg!!!
    I´m now following you. Please follow back at www.theandaluins.blogspot.com
    and participate in my goodreads giveaway: The Chamber of Thousands Caves, from The Andaluins Saga.

    More: www.theandaluinssaga.wix.com/saga

    Thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete