expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>
Knowledge of our past is our inheritance. What we do with that knowledge will shape our destinies...

Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Top Ten Tuesday--Awesome Heroines!

Welcome to Top Ten Tuesday + RMQ (below)


brokeandbookish.com
Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created here at The Broke and the Bookish. This feature was created because we are particularly fond of lists here at The Broke and the Bookish. We'd love to share our lists with other bookish folks and would LOVE to see your top ten lists!

Each week we will post a new Top Ten list  that one of our bloggers here at The Broke and the Bookish will answer. Everyone is welcome to join. All we ask is that you link back to The Broke and the Bookish on your own Top Ten Tuesday post AND add your name to the Linky widget so that everyone can check out other bloggers lists! If you don't have a blog, just post your answers as a comment. Have fun with it! It's a fun way to get to know your fellow bloggers.

This week's question: Top Ten Kick-Ass Heroines!


Musings on Fantasia has all my fantasy picks, so none of these are in the fantasy genre. I tried to think of some I hadn't used for answers in a hop lately. I wasn't entirely successful, but there's a few.

Classics:


atlasshruggedmovie.com
10. Dagny of Atlas Shrugged

Even in a government-controlled, man's world, she just doesn't take any crap from anybody.




pastandpresentcreations.com
9. Mina of Dracula

Survived an encounter with the most notorious, non-sparkly vampire of all time. Cool? I think so!






rantery.awardspace.com

8. Scout of To Kill a Mockingbird

Who doesn't want to have lunch with Scout? She witnessed a racially charged trial, was Atticus Finch's daughter, and befriended Boo Radley. Yeah, I'd like to pick her brain.


Youth:


en.wikipedia.org
7. Nancy Drew

Who solves literally hundreds of mysteries better than the police can and before turning nineteen? Oh that's right: Nancy does!






Historical Fiction:


tower.com
6. Nefertiti of Nefertiti by Michelle Moran

Michelle Moran's heroines are based on true women of history. They're both very flawed and very relatable. I highly recommend anything she's written!







thelostbookreports.com
5. Nefertari of The Heretic Queen by Michelle Moran


Ditto number 6.







Contemporary:


escapepod.org
4. Lisbeth Salander, The Millenium Trilogy

I was NOT a huge fan of this trilogy, especially the ending, but even I have to admit that Lisbeth Salander and her sense of justice was one heroine in a million.



Mine:

(I couldn't think of any more, so my sister encouraged me to use the heroines from my own forthcoming novels. Cheating? Maybe. Shameless plug? Totally! No one's read these yet because they haven't been released, but I saw it as a good opportunity to plug my heroines.)

3. Inga of Kremlins (historical fiction)
This heroine starts out very weak. She's independent and capable, but feels like she gets what she deserves and is unworthy. That will change over the course of the story and let's just say she might to get a chance to stand up to some of history's darkest villains.
Citadels of Fire, book 1 of the Kremlins trilogy, forthcoming from Jolly Fish Press, September 2013.

2. Alex Thompson of The Botanist (crime drama)
Alex takes a pro-active approach to helping the police track down a serial killer she may have once come into contact with, but when the killer zeroes in on her as the one who got away, she'll have to rely on her cunning and strength of character to stay alive.
The Botanist, forthcoming from Jolly Fish Press, spring 2014.

1. Maggie Harper of Interchron
Maggie is part of a team that must save a dystopian world from the slavery of a collective conscience and preserve individuality for the future. She's the key to the prophecy that will bring the collectives down and the chief target of the collective's tattooed assassins.
Persistence of Vision, Book 1 of Interchron, forthcoming from Tate Publishing, February 2013.



Random Movie Quotes (RMQ)

Don't know what this is? Click here.

Last week's RMQ was:

imdb.com
Guy 1: "You grow fond of him. That is good."
Guy 2: "Do not play God with me...You are not my priest. You wouldn't be if I had one."
Guy 1: "That was bitter."


There were five possible points on this one and no one even had a guess! This was a conversation between Porthos (played by John Malkavich) and Aramis (played by Jeremy Irons) in 1998's The Man in the Iron Mask.




This week's RMQ is:

"I would burn in hell to keep you safe."

One point for character, one for actor, one for film. Good luck! ;D


If you haven't yet, don't forget to enter my giveaway! Happy Tuesday!

7 comments:

  1. Great picks. I love that you have Dagny Taggart on your list. I can't believe I didn't put her on my own. =) Here's my TTT: http://meganm922.blogspot.com/2012/10/top-ten-tuesdaykick-ass-heroines.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great list! I can't believe I forgot to include Scout - she's awesome!
    Check out my list here: http://wp.me/p2zoUo-cF

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi!
    Lisbeth, omg she's totally hardcore. Love her. great pick!
    My TTT: http://nightmareonbookstreet.blogspot.com/2012/10/top-ten-tuesday-kick-ass-heroines.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't believe that I forgot Nancy Drew! :)
    Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nancy Drew, why didn't I think of that girl?

    Thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete